Sadtu slams ANA decision – iAfrica.com

Sat, 19 Sep 2015 8:56 AM Credit: sxc.hu     The South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) and National Professional Teacher’s Organisation of South Africa (Naptosa) have slammed the Basic Education Department for its decision to proceed with the Annual National Assessment (ANA) exams this year, apparently without consulting with them. Minister Angie Motshekga told the media in Pretoria on Friday that the council of education ministers decided after meeting with unions to conduct the exams later this year. The process was scheduled to be conducted this week, but Sadtu announced last week that its members wouldn’t participate. Motshekga says the decision to write the ANA from 1 to 4 December is in line with the agreement reached with unions….

SA to cut back on festive spending? – iAfrica.com

Fri, 05 Dec 2014 8:22 AM 123RF.com     A new report shows that South Africans will be a bit more practical when it comes to their annual festive season spending. Deloitte’s year-end 2014 holiday survey indicates consumers will prefer to cut back on travel and socialising over the holidays in favour of buying food due to tough economic times. The report also found the average proportion of the consumer budget that will be spent on food has jumped to 44 percent in 2014 compared to 36 percent a year ago. The group’s Rodger George says consumer behavour around spending seems to have shifted. “Most will spend 42 percent on kids and this year we think that’s…

Minister’s Amplats stake revealed – iAfrica.com

Fri, 27 Jun 2014 1:53 PM Questions continue to be asked about Mineral Resources Minister Ngoako Ramatlhodi’s apparent conflict of interest following reports that he holds a stake in a black economic empowerment (BEE) partner of Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) worth an estimated R20-million. Shortly after his appointment last month, Ramalthodi announced his first duty would be to end the crippling strike in the platinum sector and established an inter-governmental task team to try and break the deadlock in the strike. But shortly afterwards, he announced he was withdrawing from the negotiations between platinum producers and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu).   Today, the Mail & Guardian is reporting that the minister…

Eskom warns of tight power supply – iAfrica.com

Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:54 AM Mark Wessels, Business Day As maintenance work at Eskom plants is reduced to ensure electricity supply, South Africa’s power system will remain tight this winter, the company’s acting CEO Collin Matjila said. “The country still remains vulnerable,” Matjila told media at Eskom’s Quarterly State of the System briefing, as the country heads into winter. Matjila said this winter, the entity anticipates that the load will increase to 36 gigawatts (GW), with maintenance expected to continue but at a lesser pace so as to ensure security of supply this winter. Last year, the peak was at 35.4 GW in June. In the last three years, Eskom had increased maintenance work…

Malema ‘the Con-mander-in-Thief’ – iAfrica.com

Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:35 PM Economic Freedom Fighters leader Julius Malema. AFP Patriotic Alliance leader Gayton McKenzie, in an open letter, branded Economic Freedom Fighters commander-in-chief Julius Malema, as the biggest thief he has ever met. McKenzie, a reformed gangster, said that he felt it was his duty to warn South Africans against Malema. “I see this open letter as part of repaying my many debts to society. If I did not speak up to warn the people of South Africa, but especially our youth, against you, it would mean I have no love for this country.” He criticised Malema for his lavish lifestyle while promising the poor “the world.” McKenzie also lashed Malema…

Nkandla SMS heads to Supreme Court – iAfrica.com

Thu, 24 Apr 2014 1:29 PM A picture of President Jacob Zuma’s private residence in Nkandla. AFP Both the ANC and the Democratic Alliance (DA) have confirmed that the Supreme Court of Appeal will tomorrow hear new arguments in the case involving the controversial Nkandla SMS. The ANC has appealed an earlier judgment by the High Court in Johannesburg which ruled in favour of free speech and declared the SMS to be “fair comment”. The ANC’s Jackson Mthembu says the party is confident it can convince the Bloemfontein court that the wrong law was applied to their complaint. “The heart of our argument is that the DA’s SMS was a false accusation against Zuma.” The…

Will MJ Blige sing at Kimye’s wedding? – iAfrica.com

Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:43 AM Mary J Blige Kanye West wants Mary J. Blige to perform her 1997 hit Everything at his wedding to Kim Kardashian. The couple will marry in France in a lavish ceremony, and the Stronger rapper is hoping to convince the R&B singer to perform her 1997 hit to mark their special day. A source told HollywoodLife.com: “One of his favourite songs by her is Everything. “That song sums up, in every verse, his love for Kim. He wants that song to be sang at his wedding so he’s talking to Mary. “Kim would drop dead if that happens. She too loves Mary and Kanye played that song for her…

Speedster tries to con cops – iAfrica.com

Mon, 13 Jan 2014 7:06 AM flickr.com A 34-year-old Johannesburg man tried to bluff his way out of a speeding ticket after being caught doing 172km/h in a 100km/h zone on Saturday night.  The man reportedly told police that he had been speeding because he had been summoned to appear in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court. The man said that he had received the call at 3.20am. The court only opens at 8.30am.  “The highest speed was a 34-year-old male caught at 172km/h in a silver [vehicle], who told officers that he was rushing to the Randburg Magistrate’s Court as he had received a call at 03:20 to appear in court,” said Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar. …

‘Basson conduct unethical’ – iAfrica.com

Wed, 18 Dec 2013 1:47 PM A file photo of Dr Wouter Basson. AFP South Africa’s “Dr Death” Wouter Basson, who headed the apartheid regime’s germ warfare programme, was found guilty on Wednesday of unprofessional conduct by the country’s health council. The former South African defence force surgeon-general (63), now risks being barred from practising medicine after the council ruled that he had flouted ethical rules. Basson faced charges over supplying suicide cyanide capsules to operational officers, tranquilising substances for kidnappings, and for producing sedatives, ecstasy and tear gas. “The breaches of medical ethics amount to unprofessional conduct,” said Jannie Hugo, chair of a Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) committee on the matter….